Monday, July 9, 2012

July 9, 2012

Guess my way to start telling you a little about my book is to give you the summary, so here it is:

Since the Revolutionary War, America has used brave men and women to conduct very secret spy operations. The Culper Gang was, perhaps, the first organized group to extract information from the British and pass it on to General George Washington. Since the late seventeen hundreds, thousands of civilians have carried on this same task, risking life and liberty, to assure that this country would never be in the dark about its enemies. Today, that task of providing a clear window to the world still stands and, although the military has assumed a greater portion of the job, civilians continue to be the best source for information.

‘Black Ops’ defines militarily or civilian operations where the missions often fit into the plausible deniability category, in which there is no claim of responsibility for the action. The men and women used for such operations are ‘expendable’; that is, if found, the government would deny any connections with the individuals, even if loss of life occurs because of the inaction. The purpose of this book, and its coming sequel, was to tell the story of such operations without giving up a single person. I understand that, as humans, we all will come to a time when we will pass from this Earth. However, persons who have operated in secrecy all of their lives will pass and no one will ever know the extent to which they went to preserve the American freedoms.

Today, we read much about the Navy Seals, Delta Force, Army Rangers, and the US Air Force Red Berets. But, very infrequently do we hear about civilian operatives who have made their mark on this country. Julia Childs, the world renowned chef, was an operative for the OSS during World War II. Chuck Barris exposed his participation with the CIA, which brought about the usual response from the agency: "We can neither deny nor affirm the fact that Mister Barris ever worked for this agency." And, so it goes, with thousands of us who know, but cannot say because the first item given us was an oath to never tell anyone… not even our families.

I started this project because I believe our children and grandchildren should know the extent that ordinary people went through to guarantee them the freedom that they and we enjoy. When my time comes, I know I will pass without any fanfare, without any 'Thank You', but I will know that I did what was expected of me and did so without any regrets. My family still believes that I loved my country more than my family, and it is hard to explain to them that I did for my country because I loved my family so much.
In the words of my Ghost Writer, Darcie Duraneeau:

From the final days of the Second World War there sprung the life of a German boy who, after facing much adversity, rose to impressive ranks.  It wouldn’t be in the country of his ancestors, but in the United States of America, where he would find his wings; the fate that his Oma had predicted at such an early age.  The Force of Fate is based on the true story of this man who was born in the wreckage, but able to rise far above it.  This first in a two part series details the upbringing, training, and decisions that would lead to a life kept so secret that even his wife, who held his heart and shared his bed, would know little of how his time was spent. 
For the time being I am using an assumed name, Brian Bunratti. Again this is done to protect all of us who are involved in this book. I am hopeful that within the next few months this secrecy can be lifted when I am resurrected and allowed to be myself again.
I want to take this opportunity to thank those who have visited my blog and as I mentioned I will update and give more information as I continue to write within these pages.

Have a great day!
Greywolf

No comments:

Post a Comment